Mince and noodles might sound like an unusual combination but believe me, they go so well together! Flavoured with lots of garlic and chilli, these vegan mince noodles really pack a punch. The fine texture of the mince mixes really well through the noodles, giving a hit of flavour with every mouthful. The roasted cashews and crispy spring onions sprinkled on top add extra texture and crunch.
Which vegan mince should I use?
Plant-based mince is a great way to add extra protein to your meal. My favourite is Meatless Farm, made from pea and soya protein. A lot of supermarkets do their own brand vegan mince, and it’s usually reasonably priced. It’s also worth checking the freezer section for vegan mince as frozen packs can work out cheaper for almost exactly the same product. Instead of mince, you can use crumbled up burgers or even sausages. Just add them in when the recipe says to add the mince. Crumbled tofu or tempeh would also work well as an alternative to mince.
Which type of noodles should I use?
I like to use flat rice noodles for this dish: they have a larger surface area for the mince to stick to and they’re also gluten-free. Any noodles will work well, including vermicelli rice noodles and thicker udon noodles. Check the international foods section of supermarkets as you can often find noodles are quite a bit cheaper there.
Can you add extra veg?
Absolutely! This dish is great for using up leftover vegetables: you can bulk it up with pretty much any veg you have in the fridge. Green beans, mangetout, baby corn, carrot, beansprouts and peppers all work particularly well. Chop your veg and add it with the spring onion in step 3.
Is this recipe gluten-free?
My other noodle recipes
If you like the sound of these vegan mince noodles, check out my other noodle dishes:
Vegan Garlic & Chilli Mince Noodles
- 200 g plant-based mince
- 120 g rice noodles
- 4 spring onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 inch piece of ginger
- 6 tsp soy sauce or tamari
- 4 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- Chilli flakes
- Grilled pak choi
- Roasted cashews
- Boil the noodles for 5 minutes, drain and put them back into the pot. Completely cover with ice cold water.
- Grate or very finely chop the ginger and garlic and add to a pan with 2 tsp of sesame oil. After a minute or so, add the mince, chilli flakes and 2 tsp soy sauce/tamari.
- Fry for around 8 minutes until the mince is cooked. Finely chop the spring onion and add to the pan.
- Drain the noodles again and add to the pan. Add the other 2 tsp of oil and 4 more tsp soy sauce. Stir fry until everything is well mixed. Serve with a sprinkle of chilli flakes, cashews and pak choi.