Vegan Caramel Pear Bread and Butter Pudding
- 3-4 pears around 300g
- 30 g butter
- 30 g coconut sugar
- For the bread and butter pudding:
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 150 g good quality vegan butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 250 g sliced bread
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 500 ml plant milk oat or soya is best
Vegan cream or ice cream
- Peel the pears and slice lengthways into wedges. Add to a pot with the butter and sugar.
- Stir over a low heat until the pears start to soften and the butter and sugar melt together into a caramel sauce, being careful not to burn the sugar. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the vegan butter and cinnamon together. Spread the slices of bread generously with the cinnamon butter on both sides.
- Arrange the bread in a deep oven tray or dish, overlapping slightly. Spoon the pears and any extra caramel over the bread.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC.
- Add the corn flour, maple syrup and plant milk to a pot. Whisk until well combined with no lumps and then put onto a medium heat. Bring to a simmer, whisking continuously.
- Once the mixture starts to bubble, it should start to thicken. Continue to whisk until it becomes a thick, custard consistency. Pour the custard over the bread and pears.
- Bake at 200ºC for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and caramelised. Serve warm with vegan cream or ice cream. Enjoy!