Beans on toast, but not as you know it! Pesto dressed butter beans and cannellini beans with toasted pine nuts is my new favourite toast topping.
What ingredients do you need to make Pesto Beans on Toast?
The bulk of the ingredients are needed to make the vegan pesto. Other than that, you just need beans and bread. The ingredients required for the pesto are as follows:
- Spinach (or other greens like rocket or kale)
- Nutritional yeast
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Garlic granules
- Seeds or chopped nuts (I like to use sunflower seeds)
Can you make more of the pesto?
Absolutely! You can easily double the ingredients and whizz up a big batch of this vegan pesto. Keep some in the fridge for tossing through pasta, dolloping on pizza, mixing through mayo or adding to a toastie.
Try my other bean recipes!
Pesto White Beans on Toast
- 2 slices of your favourite bread I like to use sourdough
- 1/2 tin cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 tin butter beans (drained and rinsed)
- 30 g basil
- 1 small handful spinach
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/4 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1 tbsp seeds or chopped nuts I like to use sunflower seeds or pine nuts
- 2 tsp lemon juice plus more to taste
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- Add all of the pesto ingredients to a pestle and mortar, small blender or beaker if using an immersion blender. Blitz until smooth, add a splash of water if needed to blend. Season to taste with salt/lemon juice as needed.
- Add both kinds of beans and the pesto to a medium sized bowl. Mix together until the beans are well coated.
- Toast your bread and top with the pesto beans.
- Sprinkle with the chilli flakes if using. Serve and enjoy.