Paella is synonymous with summer and sunny holidays for me! Every time I make it, I feel like I’m bringing a little bit of summer into my kitchen.
I’ve used vegan chorizo sausages but it would be equally as tasty with solely vegetables. Courgettes, peppers, peas and green beans are some of my favourites.
Although it’s traditionally made with saffron to give the glorious sunny yellow colour, I’ve found turmeric makes a great budget-friendly alternative.
Paella-style Rice with Vegan Chorizo
- 200 g paella rice or arborio
- 750 ml veg stock
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 courgette
- 6 vegan chorizo sausages I used Sainsbury’s Plant Pioneers
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- Lemon wedges
- Fresh parsley
- In a large frying pan, add a drizzle of oil. Chop the sausages and add to the pan. Fry over a medium heat until they start to crisp.
- Remove the chorizo from the pan. Leave any crispy bits and oil. Finely chop the onion and garlic and add to the pan with the tomato purée, turmeric and paprika. Stir for around 5 minutes until soft. Add the rice and stir to coat it in the juices of the pan.
- Pour in 500ml of the stock and leave to simmer on a low heat for about 20 minutes. It might stick to the bottom of the pan a little bit, don’t try to scrape it — leave it to add flavour!
- Wash and chop the courgette and green beans. Add to the pan along with the sausages and pour in the remaining stock and juice of the lemon. Give it a gentle stir, again don’t worry if it’s stuck. Keep simmering on a low heat for another 25 mins to half an hour. Serve with lemon wedges and some chopped parsley for freshness.