These cherry bakewell vegan pancakes are so simple but so delicious. They’re a real weekend treat for me — if Sundays are for cooked breakfasts and roast dinners, Saturdays are for pancakes! A stack of warm pancakes is always something to look forward to. And the best part is you only need a mixing bowl and a pan… less washing up means more time for sofa lazing.
Vegan pancakes are really easy and just as fluffy and delicious as any other pancakes. The ground almonds in this pancake batter give a subtle sweetness that works perfectly with the cherry compote. These pancakes make a delectable breakfast and can also double up as a sumptuous dessert.
Although the recipe uses frozen cherries, you can use both fresh or frozen cherries for the compote. It’s a great recipe for using up cherries that are just past their best.
Fresh cherries can be expensive, especially when they’re not in season, so I usually opt for frozen. I’ve always got a few bags of berries (and cherries!) in the freezer and I honestly can’t recommend them enough… they’re incredibly handy for breakfasts and bakes! Not to mention they’re pretty cheap too: I buy mine from Aldi for less than £2 a bag. Blueberries, raspberries and cherries are my go-to.
The ground almonds in these vegan pancakes with the sweet cherry compote make for a delicious flavour combination. It’s like tucking into a warm cherry pie or a cherry bakewell tart. You can sub the ground almonds for almond flour instead. If you don’t have any ground almonds, don’t worry — the pancakes will work perfectly without (but of course won’t have the sweet, nutty flavour that makes a cherry bakewell).
These pancakes can easily be made gluten-free: just sub the self-raising flour for a gluten-free self-raising flour blend. You might need to add an extra splash of milk as sometimes gluten-free flours absorb more moisture.
The sweet cherry compote, dairy-free yoghurt and flaked almonds make every bite of this pancake stack a treat. You could easily swap the dairy-free coconut yoghurt for any other vegan yoghurt. The flaked almonds can be swapped for a sprinkle of ground almonds or some chopped almonds.
Other Vegan Pancakes
If you like this recipe, why not try some of my other pancake recipes?
Cherry Bakewell Pancakes
- 125 g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 200 ml almond milk
- 100 g frozen cherries
- 50 ml hot water
- Flaked almonds
- Dairy-free coconut yoghurt
- Add the flour, ground almonds and baking powder to a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Add in the apple cider vinegar and maple syrup followed by the almond milk. Whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Let a non-stick frying pan heat up for a few minutes. Using a large spoon, add some of the batter to the pan. Once bubbles start to appear and burst, flip to the other side to cook for a minute or two.
- Remove the cooked pancakes from the pan and keep warm. Repeat the steps above until all the mixture is used up.
- While the pan is still warm, toast the flaked almonds for a couple of minutes until lightly golden.
- Add the frozen cherries to a pot and cover with the boiling water.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes until the cherries soften and the liquid reduces and becomes slightly syrupy.
- Serve the pancakes warm and stacked. Top with a dollop of dairy-free coconut yoghurt, cherry compote and flaked almonds.