My favourite cocktail is a Bloody Mary and one of my favourite foods is pasta so I thought, why not combine the two?! This Bloody Mary Pasta is super quick to make (it only takes 20 minutes!) but you’d think the sauce had been simmering for hours with the amount of flavour. Think pasta alla vodka without the cream, a bit more spice and A LOT more flavour.
What ingredients do I need?
- Dried pasta of choice
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Chilli flakes
- Vodka (optional)
- Celery salt
- Henderson’s Relish or vegan Worcestershire sauce
Which pasta should I use?
You can use any pasta shape in this recipe. Most dried pasta is accidentally vegan as it does not contain eggs but please be sure to double check the ingredients just in case. I used “Mafalda Corta” pasta and found the sauce coated the shape really well. Fusilli, penne or rigatoni would also be great.
What is vegan Worcestershire sauce/Henderson’s relish?
Worcestershire sauce is a tangy condiment made from vinegar, molasses and tamarind flavoured with onion, garlic, anchovies and other seasonings. It’s a classic ingredient in a Bloody Mary and gives it savoury, umami flavour. Traditional Worcestershire sauce is not vegan due to the anchovies, however vegan alternatives are available and usually contain very similar ingredients minus the anchovies. I’ve found the vegan alternative in Waitrose before, it’s also available on Amazon and in some health food shops. Henderson’s relish is a similar condiment to Worcestershire sauce. It is very similar in colour but contains no anchovies, so is slightly less salty and perfect for vegan cooking.
Bloody Mary Pasta
- 150 g pasta of choice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 300 ml passata
- 2 tbsp vodka optional
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 2 tsp tabasco
- 1 tsp Hederson’s Relish or vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Squeeze of lemon
- Put your pasta on to boil in salted water.
- Finely chop the garlic and add to a pan with the olive oil and chilli flakes. Stir over a medium heat until soft. Add the passata and vodka, if using.
- Turn up the heat and let simmer for two minutes to burn off the alcohol. Add the celery salt, tabasco and Henderson’s relish or vegan Worcestershire sauce. Mix well.
- Bring to a simmer and then bubble gently for 5 minutes, stirring now and again. Add a ladleful of pasta water and mix.
- Once the pasta is al dente, drain and add to sauce. Gently toss the pasta through the sauce until well coated. Season well with black pepper and more celery salt/Tabasco if required. Add a squeeze of lemon just before serving. Enjoy!